I am not in the news business, but if I were, type one diabetes would be front page, top focus, the lead story. It would be 24 hours – round the clock- coverage with no commercial interruptions. Why? As I channel my inner Howard Beale, the fictitious character in the Oscar-nominated film Network, and shout, “I’m mad as hell. …Things have got to change. But first, you’ve gotta get mad!”
It is a fact; type one diabetes exists in the shadows of type two. Moreover, like many type ones, I scour the information highway for news that gives us perspective and context as we continue to wait for a cure and fight for better care, treatment, support and help for our fellow T1Ds.
This is my weekly audio share of five diabetes headlines from around the globe and across the net. Some will peak your interest, inspire or frankly tick you off. But all are topics for discussion with our diabetes care team and the T1D community.
For more information or to read the article associated with the headline, click on the title links (in bold) below.
- Medtronic LOOP Blog: New Clinical Trial Brings Artificial Pancreas Closer
- Diabetes Patient Advocacy Coalition: CMS releases New Medicare Part B Reimbursement Data
- Information about Diabetes: Risk Factors and Symptoms of a Diabetic Coma
- Broad Institute: Researchers Find Link between Microbiome, Type 1 Diabetes
- Diabetes Daily: Getting Closer to a Cure for Type 1 Diabetes?
What type one news story caught your attention this week? Feel free to share a headline in the comments section of this post.